Right here is the scenario because it stands on Friday, September 23.
- 4 areas of Ukraine managed by Russia and pro-Moscow forces held referendums on Friday on becoming a member of Russia, a transfer extensively condemned by the West as illegitimate and a precursor to unlawful annexation.
- Voting within the Luhansk, Donetsk, Kherson and Zaporizhia provinces, representing about 15 p.c of Ukrainian territory, runs from Friday to Tuesday. Incorporating the 4 areas into Russia, Moscow might justify navy escalation as essential to defend its territory.
- World leaders gathering on the United Nations Basic Meeting in New York known as for Russia to be held accountable for human rights violations in Ukraine.
- Russian overseas minister Sergey Lavrov defended the “particular navy operation” and accused Ukraine of committing atrocities.
- Former Russian President Dmitry Medvedev mentioned any weapons, together with strategic nuclear weapons, may very well be used to defend territory integrated into Russia from Ukraine.
- Some draft-age Russians headed overseas to flee their nation’s largest conscription drive since World Battle II. Costs for air tickets from Moscow skyrocketed. The Kremlin mentioned the stories of an exodus had been “exaggerated”.
- Russia’s navy mentioned some 10,000 volunteers had enlisted with out even ready for his or her call-up papers.
- At the least 1,300 protesters towards the draft had been detained and a few had been handed enlistment papers whereas in custody, a rights group mentioned.
- Russian-installed separatists mentioned not less than six civilians had been killed and 6 wounded in a missile strike on a market in central Donetsk.
- Russian forces attacked a number of cities together with Zaporizhzhia, which was hit by about 10 shells, mentioned regional governor Oleksander Starukh. There have been no instant stories of casualties.
- The Ukrainian prosecutor’s workplace mentioned Russian mortar rounds killed two folks and wounded six in Toretsk city in Donetsk.
- Within the Russian-held southern metropolis of Melitopol, a blast hit a crowded market. Town’s exiled mayor mentioned it killed three troopers.