Sicily is after all part of Italy and is the most important island within the Mediterranean with a bunch of points of interest that make it well-known.
This beautiful island is likely one of the twenty areas of Italy and is known for things like Mount Etna, The Roman Theatre of Taormina, in addition to the bustling metropolis of Palermo—which is an attraction in its personal proper and will positively be included in your Sicily itinerary.
Sicily is an island that has the proper mixture of lovely landscapes, improbable seashores, unbelievable delicacies in addition to certainly one of Europe’s finest climates, so it’s no surprise that this island is a favourite amongst vacationers and holidaymakers.
So, allow us to present you what an Eight day Sicily itinerary may appear like.
Right here’s how one can plan an eight day Sicily itinerary
Let’s begin off your Sicily journey in Palermo.
Day 1-3: Palermo
You’ll start your dream journey to Sicily, by beginning within the capital metropolis of Palermo which is known for its stunning fountains and wonderful piazzas. However largely for its unbelievable meals tradition—which is likely one of the foremost causes you’re in Italy proper?
Sicilian delicacies is out of this world and attracts many individuals for that reason alone, and one of many main points of interest you can’t overlook is the traditional La Vucciria food market. This market holds social significance throughout the metropolis in addition to taking part in a central function right here. This iconic meals market is the place you’ll be able to take pleasure in all types of scrumptious and native road meals, expertise locals having fun with the dolce vita in addition to embrace the full of life ambiance, which makes this a standout spot.
To get right here, make your method to Piazza Caracciolo, Palermo anytime between 7 am and seven pm Monday – Saturday. Palermo is a perfect spot to attempt some well-known road meals corresponding to arancini (Italian rice balls) and sfincione (Sicilian pizza), in addition to take a cooking class to be taught the secrets and techniques behind these mouthwatering recipes. If you happen to’re feeling adventurous, be sure you attempt the well-known beef spleen sandwich often known as pani ca meusa.
With full bellies, you might be able to tackle a few of Palermo’s finest points of interest over these few days.
- Cattedrale di Palermo: This spectacular Roman Catholic church dates again to 1185, and is a improbable constructing of nice significance throughout the metropolis. It’s open Mon-Sat from 7am-7pm and Solar from 8am-7pm.
- Palazzo Dei Normanni: That is by far one of many best-preserved examples of Arabic-Norman-Byzantine structure and might be visited Mon-Sat from 8:30 am-4:30 pm and Solar from 8:30 am-12:30 pm.
- Teatro Massimo: The most important opera home in Italy and the third-largest on the earth.
If you end up with time in your fingers and are searching for extra issues to do, then make sure that so as to add these optionally available points of interest to your listing.
- St John of the Hermits: A medieval Norman church with spectacular Arab-Norman structure. You’ll be able to go to Mon-Sat from 9:30am-6:30am and Solar from 9:30am-1:30pm.
- The Ballaro market: One other market to expertise extra scrumptious Sicilian meals in addition to clothes. Yow will discover some mouthwatering fruit, cheeses, contemporary fish, and native greens. Mon-Sat 7:30 am-8:30pm/Solar 7:30am-2pm.
Day 3-5: Taormina
Right this moment, you’ll go away Palermo and observe the north coast in direction of Taormina, stopping off at Cefalu—a surprising hamlet by the ocean—earlier than persevering with to the east coast of the island. Taormina is a improbable resort city, which is unquestionably price a go to. In your first night, make sure that to take a stroll down the bustling foremost road of Corso Umberto and decide a bar or restaurant to spend at for the night.
After dinner, why not absorb an open-air efficiency on the Greek Theatre which dates again to the third Century—assured to be an ideal expertise, in addition to present insatiable views of the well-known Mt Etna within the distance.
The following day, there are a bunch of actions you’ll be able to take pleasure in on this stunning coastal city, together with:
- Stress-free on one of many seashores corresponding to Isola Bella.
- Having fun with the panoramic view from Piazza IX Aprile, which has one of the best view of town and Mt Etna and is, after all, open 24 hours a day to take pleasure in.
- Chiesa Madonna Della Rocco for extra unbelievable metropolis and sea views, a peaceable haven to calm down and the proper spot to take pleasure in a glass of native wine. Mon-Solar 8:30am-7pm.
- Alcantara Gorge, which is a 50-minute drive from Taormina and is a geological marvel, in addition to the proper place to go to to see wonderful waterfalls and take a refreshing dip within the Alcantara River.
Spend your second night in Palermo listening to dwell music and having fun with some scrumptious Italian delicacies on the town.
Tip: The Godfather followers can go to a couple of of the film’s movie places within the city of Savoca, simply exterior Taormina, which was used because the fictional city of Corleone.
Day 5-6: Catania
After breakfast, you’ll go away Taormina and head to Catania. Nevertheless, you’ll after all be stopping at probably the most well-known points of interest on the island alongside the best way–Mount Etna. This energetic stratovolcano is the tallest volcano in Europe and attracts many guests to marvel on the sheer sight of this pure attraction. You’ll be able to both tackle the Mt Etna path, which is round a 1-hour return and is of medium grade, or you’ll be able to merely spend a while having fun with the views and the infinite photograph alternatives earlier than persevering with to Catania.
Associated learn: The World’s Most Famous Volcanoes
Word: Whereas Italy is mostly not an unsafe place to go to, you have to be conscious of pickpockets and petty theft, particularly in touristy areas, so be vigilant and care for your valuables in locations corresponding to this.
Catania is the second-largest metropolis in Sicily and is a spot that you just simply can not overlook in your Sicily itinerary planning. When arriving, anticipate to be greeted by a improbable view of Mount Etna, which kinds the long-lasting backdrop of this beautiful metropolis. Right here you’ll spend the night absorbing the ambiance of town in all its glory, which is clear on the Piazza Duomo.
The next day you’ll have the entire day to discover town’s sights, together with:
- Palazzo Biscari: Go to this marvelous palace for its unbelievable Catanese Baroque structure, full with beautiful frescos. On condition that this historic location is now getting used for live shows, verify their website for upcoming unmissable occasions. Mon-Solar 10am-1pm.
- The Cathedral of Catania: This stunning and historic cathedral is centrally positioned, so there isn’t any motive to overlook out on seeing the great baroque structure which makes this so widespread. Be looking out for the domed roof, the columned facade, and the quite a few frescoes that may be admired for hours. Devoted to the patron saint of Catania, St Agatha, whose competition is held from February 3rd – 5th. Mon-Sat 10:30am-12pm/4pm-5:30pm, closed Sundays.
Throughout your time sightseeing in Catania, make sure that to refresh your self with a chilly and fruity beverage from one of many historic Catania kiosks which date again to the 1800s and are present in lots of the piazzas, particularly Piazza Umberto. Take pleasure in one other stunning night in Catania, with a scrumptious native dinner of Pasta Alla Norma (pasta and eggplant) and a surprising sundown over Mount Etna, as you absorb all you’ve got encountered right now, as a part of your Eight day Sicily itinerary.
Day 6-8: Siracusa
Right this moment, after a contemporary and engaging Italian breakfast, alongside some world-famous espresso, you’ll set your self up for the day and make your method to Siracusa, which is a perfect spot to find its points of interest in addition to being near some main stop-off factors too. In your method right here, you’ll be able to cease on the archeological web site of Agrigento, which is likely one of the most important historic websites on the entire island. After marveling on the numerous mesmerizing ruins, you’ll proceed to Siracuse, the place extra journey awaits.
In your first day in Siracusa, you’re going to get the prospect to find many issues, together with:
- The Fontana Diana on the Piazza Archimed: Relationship again to 1907, this can be a main function within the metropolis of Siracusa, which is devoted to the Goddess, Diana.
- Ortigia, which is accessed by way of a bridge and is known for its unbelievable Baroque fashion Piazza del Duomo–among the best in Italy.
In your second day in Siracusa, you’ll go to Modica, which is a haven for the candy tooth, on condition that it’s well-known for the Modica goodies—which you’ll be able to style and, after all, take dwelling. This city is famed for its stunning array of historic buildings, its chocolate museum, and its tiny slim, picturesque streets.
You’ll spend the remainder of the day as you please, wandering this stunning hilly city, earlier than making your method again to Catania in your final night in Sicily, closing off your improbable Eight day Sicily itinerary.